CSCS White Cards

White CSCS Card
White/Grey CSCS Card

The CSCS White Card is issued in three types to suit professionally qualified operatives, those with a relevant academic qualification and those in occupations for where a there is currently no recognised qualification.

The White/Grey – Construction Related Occupation (CRO) Card is now discontinued – this card was for workers whose occupation does not have an NVQ or SVQ Level 2 or higher or relevant trade specific units in place.

In addition to the competency requirements you should also have CPD records for the past two years which should be verified by a current member of the Professional Institution you belong to and whose membership is equal to, or higher than yours.

Apply with the PQP form. You will also need to pass the Managerial and Professional health, safety & environment test.

This card lasts for five years and may be renewed on verification of the current PQP criteria.

Academically Qualified Person (AQP) Card – This new card has been issued to cover people with relevant academic qualifications but have not yet achieved the necessary NVQ to gain the CSCS card.

The new Academically Qualified Person (AQP) Card is valid for 5 years and when it runs out you will not be able to reapply; it is assumed you will, by this time, have gained the relevant NVQ for your occupation.

The card covers a range of construction and civil engineering qualifications including HNC/HND’s, BSc Honours and Masters MSc Degrees. There is a full list of acceptable qualifications here.

Apply with the Technical, Supervisor or Manager Application Form and all applicants must also the CITB Managers and Professionals Health, Safety and Environment Test


Vitor – Am seeking for a cscs card for traffic marshall in contruction i was been formed as traffic marshal, but to work they always asked me for cscs card for this kind of job please if you have more informations concerning this problem say me here in this website. Because i heard that white and grey cscs card is the correct card but when try apply trough CITB they say they dont have cscs card for traffic marshal. READ MORE…

There isn’t a card for the role of Traffic Marshall. You need a Green Labourer’s Card

Sean – I have the white/grey card for floor sanding but need to get a supervisors card how do I go about getting this? READ MORE…

You’d need to select an appropriate occupation from the list here as ‘floor sander’ isn’t recognised. Construction Site Supervisor (Contracting) is probably the most appropriate?

You’ll need to do the Diploma in Construction Site Supervision and also complete the Supervisor’s Health and Safety Test.

You’ll also need your current employer’s cooperation, it’s impossible to go down this route without it – even if you pay all the costs yourself.

Bernadette – hi which card do l need to work in sales on a construction site? READ MORE…

You don’t need a card unless you’re employed in a construction activity. Admittedly, ther eis a lot of confusion about this. There used to a Yellow Site Vistor’s Card but it was withdrawn for the simple fact that it wasn’t needed.

Chris – Hi I want to work as a road sweeper for my local council which ccs card do I need? READ MORE..

You don’t need a card unless your employer has a policy of only employing people who have one. I don’t know why a local council would need to adopt such a policy although I accept stranger things can happen?

The green card is probably the most appropriate and will not do you any harm to get one – although there is a cost involve

Bob – Hi, I have a Cscs Blue skilled trade card (wood occupations), Sssts, and (part) of a Hnc in Building Studies (minus 2modules). Which cards do I now need in order to progress my career. Should I take the supervisor and management health and safety test on top of my recently renewed health and safety card? Which cards follow this? READ MORE…

The card or cards you need will depend on what job role you are currently doing, it isn’t a qualification system as such. You only need to do the test that relates to the card you apply for, there isn’t any point in doing the supervisor and management test unless you are applying for a card that requires it.

Not a helpful answer I know but the card system is working against you (any many people like you) because it’s preventing you from moving up. The best thing you can do is to complete the HNC and to apply for jobs with companies that might be able to give you an opportunity to progress within the system.

Steve – Hi, i need to get a cscs card for surface treatment specialist, which dvd/book do i order to cover all the questions for revision? READ MORE…

Idowu – Hi, I currently have a green laborer’s card and a Traffic Marshall ticket as well. I however have a BSc degree in computer and information systems and a masters degree in Computer Science, and I am looking to work in an Administrative/Managerial role on site. I am not sure of what cards are right for me and what courses I should do? READ MORE…

There is a construction related occupation card for this purpose but it is being phased out. For the time being then the green card is the most suitable for your needs.

I can’t advise you further until you know exactly what kind of role you want to undertake.

Colin – Hi iv got a green card . Im a site joiner have been for many years now iv never done an nvq how can i change my card to trade card? READ MORE…

You will have to do the relevant NVQ for your trade, there is no other way.

Cajy – I hold a foreign qualification of diploma in construction engineering which has been assessed by UK NARIC to be comparable to NVQ Level3 but is not accepted by cscs. I currently hold a green card and I am employed as a concrete finisher for the last six months. I seek advice as to how to get a higher card and what qualifications I need to do so. READ MORE…

You need to apply for the card that matches your occupation.

If your occupation is not listed and/or you do not have the relevant qualification then the green card is the right card for you at this moment in time. To get a higher card you need to do the NVQ, there isn’t a way around it.

Andy – Hi I’m trying to get a blue skill card on duct work and can’t find a provider for assessment in Dumfries but I’m from Newcastle work away and are grants available as wages rubbish. READ MORE…

If you are employed it should be down to your employer to fund this. If you are self-employed then you could try the local chamber of commerce and ask if they know of any local funding schemes, sometimes they do and don’t advertise the fact. Also, if there is any chance you can can claim benefits for a short time between jobs this may also open up some funding opportunities that are otherwise unavailable.

Joe – Hi, I am a Cinema Engineer (installing projectors and sound systems into cinemas). I frequently work on new build cinemas that require CSCS cards. I have a BSC in Film and Broadcast technology and have been working for 10 years. I have previously been classes as a Sound Engineer on a CRO card. Now you are phasing them out how do I get a PQP card as there is not an NVQ to do and I already have a degree in the field? READ MORE…

You should apply for the Professionally Qualified Person’s Card

Andy – Hi I’m a duct fitter and there are no reliant cards for my trade will I need a white card? READ MORE…

There are a few HVAC occupations covered by the Construction Related Occupations list.

If you can not describe your occupation as any one of these then the only card available would be the Green labourer’s card.

Bear in mind that there is a bit of flexibility so you don’t have to be too precise. So long as someone will sign your application form and you can pass the relevant Health Safety & Environment test there are no other checks made.

David – I have a NEBOSH NCC1 & NCC2 and am in process of taking NGC1. Which card should i apply for if i take the management test? READ MORE…

The card you apply for should be for the job you are currently doing, the one exception being the Academically Qualified Person (AQP) card which is only valid for 5 years.

Barry – Hi I’m a joiner of 40 years what card do I need to go on a building site. READ MORE…

It depends on the site. There is no legal obligation to have a card but if the main contractor is operating the card scheme he will expect you to have a Blue Skilled Worker Card.

It’s possible you could get away with just the Green Labourers Card but it depends on the main contractor and how desperate he is to have you on site.

Desmond – Hi I am a paint sprayer with over 20 years and want to work on construction sites what cscs card do I need? READ MORE…

CITB Test for Managers

Offical CITB Revison Material

The revision material contains everything you need to know about booking, preparing for and sitting the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test for for Managers and Professionals